Pages

Saturday 15 February 2014

Interview with Tattoo Artist Thomas Carli Jarlier of Noire Ink

Whilst browsing Instagram with the usual hashtags, I noticed a tattoo design which really stood out. I clicked on to it and discovered the wonderful Instagram account of London based tattoo artist Thomas Carli Jarlier from Chiswick Tattoo Studio - Noire Ink. Browsing his designs I decided I had to interview him to find out more about his work and the new tattoo studio. Tom kindly agreed to take the time out to have a chat about his work! 



How long have you been tattooing?

I've been tattooing for 6 years now, since the age of 21. I have always been a fan of tattoo art, to the point that I got my full sleeve done as soon as I was old enough. It all started with my passion for drawing since a very young age. My mother is a painter and professor of art, so she was a big influence for my interest in visual arts. For me, drawing and tattooing go hand in hand, you cannot be a good tattooist until you are a good artist. 


When was Noire Ink founded?
Noire ink was founded in September 2013. The idea to open my own tattoo studio had been on the horizon for a couple of years before I actually got to launch it. Thanks to such great tattoo artists such as Stephane Chaudesaigues, Duane Robinson and Paul Naylor, who guided me through the process, I was able to become an independent artist. It has also become possible thanks to support and input of my wife, who is developing the business together with me.


Where do you find inspiration?
On a large scale, inspiration is everywhere! I love seeing the fantastic work of my favourite tattoo artists, like Dimitry Samohin, Oleg Shepelenko (crazy good Russians!), Nikko Hurtado and picking up some of the techniques they use. I absolutely adore Marvel comics, and tattooing its characters if one of the most fun things to do. As for the realism style, the masterpieces by Michelangelo are a great source of inspiration. I also enjoy working in Polka-trash, one of the trends in tattooing nowadays. Its originators Volko Merschky and Simone Pfaff have done some mind-blowing works that really set my brain into the creativity mode..


How many tattoos do you have?
I have lost the count of my tattoos. Lots. There is still some space on my body that I keep for my tattooist friends. I have also done most part of my tattoos myself: I have tattooed my own legs. It is a great way to understand tattooing, before you touch other persons skin!

What music do you like listening to while tattooing?
Music is a massive part of the tattoo process, isn’t it? There should be something that overpowers the buzz of the machine (even though my rotary isn't too noisy)! My current favorite is heavy bluesy funk. It might not be typical of tattoo parlors, but I love working with D’Angelo in the background. Groovy and funky is my choice. I am also a professional drummer (with a degree in that stuff..), so music is among my main inspirations. If I have a long session of tattooing, I can turn on Big Bang Theory series at some point for a change :)


Thank you Tom for such a great interview, I can't wait to see future work! You can find the studio in Acton Lane, Chiswick, and more info on Twitter here and Facebook here

No comments:

Post a Comment